Monday, January 16, 2017

Ashamed

I am heartily ashamed of myself for letting myself go!
When I was in my middle forties, I had gained a great deal of weight.  My family genetics was a mixed bag.  One group of family members were built like the potato barrels of my youth with short legs pasted on the bottom.  Another branch was tall and willowy even as they aged.  Some were stout but not awfully heavy.  I suppose we were like any family with a long heritage of a bit of everything.
I had accepted in my heart that I was going to be that barrel type, and that is just the direction that I was heading.  When it became difficult to tie my shoes I had enough. 
I joined my local community health center.  I taught myself to swim, being resistant to instruction by someone who thought it was easy and embarrassed both at my size and inability at that age.
Pretty soon I was swimming easily...if not well, and I had begun to lose the weight.
I went from 228 pounds at 5' 10" to 165 before I stopped and decided that was just too thin for good health.  I went up to 175 without a lot of effort, and there I stayed for years and years.
Now, after the death of my spouse and a bout of depression, I resolved to do it again, having gone pretty near to where I was before at my worst.
At 64, there are limitations that I have to face, but I am confident that even if I cannot get back to my good weight, I can at least make a good effort at coming close, and at feeling better in general, and feeling better about my weight.
I DO NOT PLAN TO BE ON THE COVER OF A HEALTH MAGAZINE.  THIS IS SILLY IN GENERAL AND AS DANGEROUS AS A WOMAN TRYING TO LOOK LIKE BARBIE!  BUT HAVING A GOAL OF GOOD MODERATE WEIGHT AND THE CORRESPONDING GOOD HEALTH THAT I ENJOYED WHILE I WAS THERE IS A GOOD AND REACHABLE GOAL!

So I will try to share with you ways to do this.  This is a VERY simple thing to do, and this blog may not be a long one as a  result!

No comments:

Post a Comment